Thursday, February 11, 2016

 

painting RED

 
Red door
Mixed media on watercolour paper
11"x15" 
2016

 This year I am showing some of my new paintings in a show at Christ Church Cathedral, at the corner of University Avenue and Ste Catherine St in Montreal.  The exhibition is on February 27, 2016.  The show will be up before the concert at 4:30 PM, and ends at 2 AM.  (There will be additional concerts all evenong; for the specifics see the Christ Church Cathedral post (below). )  Unfortunately the paintings will only be up for this one evening.  February 27 coincides with Nuit blanche  in Montreal, where we take back the night, and celebrate all night.



For information about Nuit Blanche at the Cathedral go to:
https://www.facebook.com/ChristChurchCathedralMontreal. 

For more information about Nuit Blanche in Montreal, go to:
http://www.montrealenlumiere.com/fr-CA/programmation/index/nui/

The theme of Nuit Blanche this yearis "Red" so I have been using a lot of red paint.  Here are some of my new paintings.  

Still Life with Red Stethoscope
Oil on paint board
11" x 14 "
2016
I decided that to get the brilliant intense reds I wanted I should paint in oils, and my brother Robert had taught me how to do so in a relatively non-toxic manner.   I collected all of my red fruit, took some avocados for variety and there on my desk was my stethoscope, which, since I was a hematologist, had to be red.  It was a little hard to capture the intensity of the color in the painting with a photo, since the flash produced glare on the photo and it was not a bright enough day to use all natural light.

I photographed various red things around the church, and these paintings are from my photographs.


Red door 2
Mixed media on sketching paper
7"x 9"
2016
The top part of the front windows of the church look, at first glance to be red.  However on further inspection they are a multicoloured mandala. I believe these windows are in memory of The Great War, given the poppies in the corners, and the date at which they were made (1930's).
 Front windows
11"x 15"
Mixed media on watercolour paper
2016


Before Christmas Catherine knitted herself a beautiful red hat, and I tried to capture that wonderful hat.  
Red hat
Mixed media on sketching paper
5" x 5"
2016

Red hat 2
Mixed media on watercolour paper
15" x 22"
2016








No comments: